40% of Toyota Motor Europe (TME) sales in the first half of the year are hybrids
• Toyota Motor Europe(1) sold 527,000 vehicles in the first half of 2017 :
o +11% versus last year
o Reaching 4.9% market share [+0.3 ppt]
• Another hybrid sales record with 208,300 vehicles :
o +44% above last year
o Representing 40% of TME sales
Brussels, Belgium - July 7, 2017 - Toyota Motor Europe today reported 2017 first half sales of 527,000 Toyota and Lexus vehicles, an increase of +11% from 2016. Total market share for the group increased by +0.3 ppt to 4.9%.
Hybrid sales grew by +44% year-on-year to 208,300 units. Hybrids now represent 40% of TME total sales, and an impressive 50% in Western Europe only.
Lexus contributes to the hybrid success with an average mix of 63% of total sales and 99% in Western Europe.
The successful launch of Toyota C-HR led the way for the strong start to 2017, with about 80% of our Toyota C-HR customers choosing hybrid.
This strong first half performance has also been supported by Yaris Hybrid (+7%), RAV4 Hybrid (+75%) and the new generation Hilux (+36%) and PROACE (+223%).
In Russia, the locally produced Camry and RAV4 managed to maintain their segment leadership despite the challenging market conditions.
The European market continued to perform well in the second quarter of the year and our performance was again stronger than the market. Our sales increased by a remarkable +11%. Our hybrid line-up of 15 Toyota and Lexus models, the largest in the automotive sector, drove this double-digit sales increase. 40% of our sales are now hybrids, showing European drivers’ affinity with our hybrid technology. I am very happy to welcome all our new hybrid drivers to the Toyota family.
TME highlights in this half-year:
- Total hybrid sales: 208,300 (+44% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe : 50% - East Europe : 9% - TTL : 40%
Toyota highlights in half-year:
- Top sellers: Yaris Range (108,700); Toyota C-HR Range (68,700) ; Auris Range (67,000) ;
- Top gainers: Toyota C-HR Hybrid (new); PROACE (+223%); Mirai (+62%) ; Hilux (+36%);
- Top hybrids : Toyota C-HR (52,400), Yaris Hybrid (47,500); Auris Hybrid (43,100); RAV4 Hybrid (29,900)
- Total hybrid sales: 185,500 (+52% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe : 47% - East Europe : 9% - TTL : 38%
Lexus highlights in this half-year:
- Top sellers: NX Range (13,400); RX Range (8,900); CT200h (4,400)
- Top gainers: GX (+10%) ; NX (+6%) ;
- Top hybrids: NX Hybrid (9,900); CT200h (4,400) ; RX Hybrid (4,000)
- Total hybrid sales: 22,800 (-1% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe : 99% - East Europe : 6% - TTL : 63%
Sales for the first half of 2017 are listed below
Table – TME (1) total half-year sales in 2017
(1) Toyota Motor Europe is responsible for all Western, Central and Eastern European countries including Turkey and Russia as well as Israel and a number of Central Asian markets (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Kazakhstan).
Models listed in italics are produced locally at Toyota’s European manufacturing facilities.