Toyota Motor Europe sold 279,000 vehicles in the first three months, achieving a Hybrid Electric Vehicle mix in excess of 50%, one year ahead of plan
· With a year-on-year rise of 14%, Hybrid Electric models helped TME maintain sales in Q1 2019, in a declining market, pushing up TME share to 5.2%
· Vast majority of customers chose hybrid electric versions of newly launched Toyota Corolla, RAV4 and Lexus UX models
Brussels, Belgium - April 10, 2019 – With 19 different models on offer and three major new models starting sales in Europe in the first quarter, Hybrid Electric Vehicles [HEV] drove the strong performance of Toyota Motor Europe (TME) between January and March 2019.
The company today reported quarterly sales of 279,000 vehicles across the region, registering a 5.2% market share.
Despite the weaker European market and the staggered launch of three new models, Toyota & Lexus sales remained stable in the first quarter thanks to strong demand for our hybrid models. With the successful launch of three important new models through the first quarter, we are confident that we have the product power to continue to outperform the market in the remainder of the year. Given our strong order bank, I am confident we will achieve, as a minimum, our total Toyota and Lexus sales objective of 1,065,000 this year.
Customers responded very well to the new Corolla Hatchback and Touring Sports. Both models initiated Toyota’s dual-hybrid strategy, with the availability of two hybrid electric powertrains: 1.8L - 122 hp and 2.0L - 180 hp, representing a combined hybrid mix of 95%.
The Corolla Sedan, a favourite in Eastern Europe, Turkey and Israel, is now - for the first time - also available with a hybrid electric powertrain that represented 60% of the new model sales.
Demand was also strong for the new RAV4, and for the new premium crossover Lexus UX that just started sales, with hybrid electric mix of 89% and 87% respectively.
Other models such as the Toyota C-HR Hybrid, and the Yaris Hybrid - that achieved record sales - also supported the strong performance of HEVs.
The HEV share of TME sales stood at 51% across Greater Europe, and at 61% in Western Europe only.
TME highlights in Q1 2019:
- Total sales: 278,800 (-0.5% year-on-year)
- Market share: 5.2% (+0.2ppt year-on-year)
- Total hybrid sales: 143,300 (+14% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 61% - East Europe*: 24% - TTL: 51%
Toyota highlights in Q1 2019:
- Toyota sales: 260,400 (+0% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: Yaris Range (69,800); Toyota C-HR Range (41,700); Corolla Range (40,100)
- Top gainers: Mirai (+124%); Camry Range (+38%); PROACE Range (+19%)
- Top hybrids : Yaris Hybrid (38,400); Toyota C-HR Hybrid (37,100); Corolla Range (27,100)
- Total hybrid sales: 130,300 (+15% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 59% - East Europe*: 25% - TTL: 50%
Lexus highlights in Q1 2019:
- Total Lexus sales: 18,400 (-1% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: NX Range (6,400); RX Range (4,100); CT 200h (1,900)
- Top gainers: UX range (new); ES range (+352%); RX range (+6%)
- Top hybrids: NX Hybrid (5,100); RX Hybrid (2,100); CT200h (1,900);
- Total hybrid sales: 13,000 (+5% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 99% - East Europe*: 12% - TTL: 71%
Sales for Q1 2019 are listed below
Table 1 – TME (1) total sales in Q1 2019
(1) Toyota Motor Europe is responsible for all Western, Central and Eastern European countries including Turkey and Russia as well as Israel and a number of Central Asian markets (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Kazakhstan).
*East Europe includes Russia, Kazakhstan, Caucasus, Ukraine, Turkey and Israel.
Models listed in italics are produced locally at Toyota’s European manufacturing facilities.