Toyota Corolla, Lexus UX and hybrid sales lift Toyota to 5.3% market share in Europe, with 838,000 vehicle sales Jan to Sept
With a year-on-year rise of 16%, demand for Hybrid Electric models continues to propel TME sales in the first nine months of 2019, increasing TME share to 5.3% in Europe
Record mix of 52% of Hybrid Electric Vehicles sustained into Q3 by customer demand for hybrid electric versions of newly launched Toyota Corolla, Camry, RAV4 and Lexus UX, ES models
Brussels, Belgium – October 14, 2019 – Toyota and Lexus strong performance continued into 3rd quarter 2019 driven by new model introductions and increased demand for hybrid electric vehicles (HEV). The company today announced its year-to-date sales of 838,691 across the region in a declining market, reporting 3.1% growth year on year, showing an increase of 2.6% for Toyota and 9.4% for Lexus.
The momentum created by four new model launches in the first 6 months of 2019 has continued into the third-quarter. Despite the weaker European market, Toyota & Lexus sales have increased thanks to strong demand for our hybrid models. We were confident of continued sales and market share growth this year but demand is even higher than our original expectations. This strong performance will continue in quarter four and we are on track to comfortably exceed our total Toyota and Lexus sales objective of 1,065,000 this year due to the strength of our hybrid order bank.
Demand has surged for models with hybrid electric powertrains now representing 52% of the sales mix across Greater Europe, and 62% in Western Europe only.
Customers have responded very positively to the new Corolla Hatchback and Touring Sports, which are now available with two hybrid electric powertrains: 1.8L – 122 hp and 2.0L - 180hp. This “dual hybrid” strategy has boosted Corolla's combined hybrid mix to 84%. In addition, the Corolla Sedan is for the first time, available with a hybrid electric powertrain that represents about 50% of the new model sales.
Demand is also strong for the new RAV4 and for the new premium crossover Lexus UX, with hybrid electric mix of 80% and 90% respectively in Western Europe.
The new Camry has been successfully expanded this year to Western Europe where it is sold exclusively with a hybrid electric powertrain.
Lexus sales increased by 9.4% versus last year, thanks to the introduction of the Lexus ES and the new Lexus UX.
TME highlights Jan-Sep 2019:
- Total sales: 838,691 (+3.1% year-on-year)
- Market share: 5.3% (+0.3 ppt year-on-year)
- Total hybrid sales: 435,881 (+16% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 62% - East Europe*: 23% - TTL: 52%
Toyota highlights Jan-Sep 2019:
- Toyota sales: 775,201 (+2.6% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: Yaris Range (177,538); Toyota C-HR Range (106,632); RAV4 Range (107,633)
- Top gainers: Mirai (+76%); Camry Range (+30%); RAV4 (+24%)
- Top hybrids : Toyota C-HR Hybrid (94,536); Corolla hatchback & Touring Sports (89,835); Yaris Hybrid (86,330); RAV4 (75,168)
- Total hybrid sales: 392,804 (+15% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 60% - East Europe*: 22% - TTL: 51%
Lexus highlights Jan-Sep 2019:
- Total Lexus sales: 63,490 (+9.4% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: NX Range (18,449); UX Range (14,606); RX Range (12,893)
- Top gainers: UX range (new); ES range (new)
- Top hybrids: NX Hybrid (13,181); UX Hybrid (13,198); RX Hybrid (5,215);
- Total hybrid sales: 43,077 (+28% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 99% - East Europe*: 7% - TTL: 68%
Sales for Jan-Sep 2019 are listed below
Table 1 – TME(1) total nine month sales in 2019
TOTAL TOYOTA / LEXUS
Yaris (incl. Yaris Hybrid)
Corolla H/B & Touring Sports (including Hybrid)
Corolla H/B & Touring Sports Hybrid
Toyota C-HR (incl. Hybrid)
Toyota C-HR Hybrid
Corolla SDN (incl. Hybrid)
Corolla SDN Hybrid
Prius Plug-in Hybrid
Camry (incl. Camry Hybrid)
RAV4 (incl. RAV4 Hybrid)
IS (incl. IS Hybrid)
ES (incl. ES Hybrid)
GS (incl. GS Hybrid)
LS (incl. LS Hybrid)
NX (incl. NX Hybrid)
UX (incl. UX Hybrid)
RX (incl. RX Hybrid)
RC (incl. RC Hybrid)
LC (incl. LC Hybrid)
Models listed in italics are produced locally at Toyota’s European manufacturing facilities.(1) Toyota Motor Europe is responsible for all Western, Central and Eastern European countries including Turkey and Russia as well as Israel and a number of Central Asian markets (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Kazakhstan).
*East Europe includes Russia, Kazakhstan, Caucasus, Ukraine, Turkey and Israel.