Toyota Motor Europe approaching half a million sales of self-charging hybrid electric vehicles in 2018
- Toyota Motor Europe(1) sold 1,035,400 vehicles in 2018:
- +3% versus last year, in a stable market
- Reaching 5.0% market share
- Another hybrid electric sales record with 480,800 vehicles:
- +18% above last year
- Representing 46% of TME sales
Brussels, Belgium - January 10, 2019 - Toyota Motor Europe today reported 2018 sales of 1,035,400 Toyota and Lexus vehicles, an increase of +3% from 2017. Total market share for the group increased to 5.0%.
Self-charging hybrid electric sales grew by +18% year-on-year to 480,800 units, representing 46% of total TME sales, and reaching an impressive 61% in Western Europe only.
The successful launch of Toyota C-HR led the way for the strong start to 2018. With more than 87% hybrid mix, the Toyota C-HR epitomises our customers’ shift to electrification.
This strong performance was also supported by our other hybrid models such as Yaris Hybrid, Auris Hybrid and RAV4 Hybrid, all achieving record sales.
Lexus sales grew by +2.1% thanks to strong demand for the best-selling model NX. With an average hybrid mix of 60% of total sales and 99% in Western Europe, Lexus continues to enjoy increased customer demand for its portfolio of 9 self-charging hybrid electric products, reinforcing its position as the premium market leader in electrification.
“We are very satisfied with our strong performance in 2018, especially under challenging markets conditions. Our electrification strategy, initiated more than 20 years ago, continues to deliver solid results with record sales of almost half a million self-charging hybrid electric vehicles in 2018. With 17 Toyota and Lexus hybrid models, the largest range in the automotive industry, HEV’s represent 46% of our total sales. I would like to thank all our customers for their trust and loyalty. We are confident of continued volume and market share growth in 2019 thanks to significant new model introductions for both brands, particularly the three new Corolla models for Toyota and the new UX for Lexus.”
TME highlights in 2018:
- Total sales: 1,035,430 (+3% year-on-year)
- Market share: 5.0% (+0.2ppt year-on-year)
- Total hybrid sales: 480,794 (+18% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 61% - East Europe*: 9% - TTL: 46%
Toyota highlights in 2018:
- Toyota sales: 959,242 (+3.5% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: Yaris Range (223,694); Toyota C-HR Range (147,276); Auris Range (116,129)
- Top gainers: PROACE Verso (+52%); Toyota C-HR Hybrid (+36%); Mirai (+29%); Yaris Range (+7%)
- Top hybrids : Yaris Hybrid (129,286); Toyota C-HR Hybrid (128,139); Auris Hybrid (89,761)
- Total hybrid sales: 435,119 (+21% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 58% - East Europe*: 10% - TTL: 45%
Lexus highlights in 2018:
- Total Lexus sales: 76,188 (+2.1% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: NX Range (29,508); RX Range (18,847); CT200h (9,131)
- Top gainers: LS Range (+552%); LC range (+17%); NX Range (+6%)
- Top hybrids: NX Hybrid (20,644); CT200h (9,131); RX Hybrid (7,417)
- Total hybrid sales: 45,675 (+1% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 99% - East Europe*: 5% - TTL: 60%
Sales for 2018 are listed below
Table 1 – TME (1) total sales in 2018
(1) Toyota Motor Europe is responsible for all Western, Central and Eastern European countries including Turkey and Russia as well as Israel and a number of Central Asian markets (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Kazakhstan).
*East Europe includes Russia, Kazakhstan, Caucasus, Ukraine, Turkey and Israel.
Models listed in italics are produced locally at Toyota’s European manufacturing facilities.