Toyota Motor Europe market share climbs to a record 6.7% in first 9 months
- Toyota Motor Europe’s (TME) sales growth continued with 864,904 vehicles sold in the first 9 months, increasing its market share to a record 6.7%, up by +0.6 pts year-on-year
- Record customer demand for hybrid electric line-up, which now represents 59% of total European sales
- Low-emission, multi-technology range expanded with the introduction of Yaris Cross Hybrid and Lexus NX Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid models
Brussels, Belgium – October 13, 2021 – Toyota Motor Europe (TME) today reported sales of 864,904 Toyota and Lexus vehicles across the first three-quarters of 2021 marking growth of +21% year-on-year and +3% vs. 2019. Across this period, TME outperformed the total market, maintaining a momentum which has seen its market share climb to a record 6.7%, an increase of +0.6 pts year-on-year. Sales of TME’s multi-technology, electrified line-up expanded even faster, with hybrid electric vehicles growing by +36% achieving 59% of total sales. The Toyota brand maintained its position as the 2nd best-selling passenger car brand in Europe with a market share of 6.4%, up by 0.7 pts compared to the same period in 2020.
These results show we have strong growth momentum. We have continued to expand our electrified, low-emission line-up with the launches of Yaris Cross Hybrid and Lexus NX Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid. Our order bank continues to run at a record high, but we are not immune to the supply disruption facing the global automotive industry, and our challenge is to try to meet the demand we know is there for our products.
Brands and model performance
Toyota sales volume grew by +21% to 805,181 between January–September 2021 with a 6.4% market share up +0.7% year-on-year in passenger cars. The brand’s top sellers include Yaris, the Corolla Range and RAV4 which represented 57% of total volume, with a combined hybrid electric mix of 78%. Toyota’s overall hybrid volume increased by +38% year-on-year to 470,712, accounting for 59% of the brand’s total mix.
Lexus sold 59,723 in this period, a volume increase of +17% year-on-year. The brand’s extensive SUV line-up of RX, NX, UX, GX and LX represented 86% total sales with its SUV hybrid mix at 60%. The highest year-on-year sales growth was achieved by LC (+113%), LS (+41%) and UX (+40%) which introduced the new UX 300e battery electric model. The brand’s line-up is further updated with the current launch of the new NX SUV in both Hybrid electric and Plug-in Hybrid electric versions.
TME highlights January- September 2021:
- Total sales: 864,904 (+21% year-on-year)
- Market share: 6.7% (+0.6% year-on-year)
- Total hybrid sales: 507,987 (+36% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 70% - East Europe*: 28% - TTL: 59%
Toyota highlights January- September 2021:
- Toyota sales: 805,181 (+21% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: Corolla Range (163,872); Yaris (162,078); RAV4 (130,630)
- Top hybrids: Yaris Hybrid (130,986); Corolla Hybrid Range (129,895); Toyota C-HR Hybrid (91,454)
- Total hybrid: 470,712 (+38% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 69% - East Europe*: 28% - TTL: 58%
Lexus highlights January- September 2021:
- Total Lexus sales: 59,723 (+17% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: NX Range (16,931); UX Range (16,839); RX Range (14,431)
- Top hybrids: UX Hybrid (14,394); NX Hybrid (12,090); RX Hybrid (4,713)
- Total hybrid sales: 37,266 (+14% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 93% - East Europe*: 8% - TTL: 62%
Sales for January - September 2021 are listed below:
TOTAL TOYOTA / LEXUS
Yaris (incl. Yaris Hybrid)
Yaris Cross (incl Yaris Cross Hybrid)
Yaris Cross Hybrid
Corolla H/B & Touring Sports (including Hybrid)
Corolla H/B & Touring Sports Hybrid
Toyota C-HR (incl. Hybrid)
Toyota C-HR Hybrid
Corolla SDN (incl. Hybrid)
Corolla SDN Hybrid
Prius Plug-in Hybrid
Camry (incl. Camry Hybrid)
RAV4 (incl. RAV4 Hybrid & RAV4 Plug-In Hybrid)
RAV4 Plug-In Hybrid
Highlander (incl. Highlander Hybrid)
PROACE (inc PROACE EV)
PROACE EV (inc PROACE VERSO EV)
IS (incl. IS Hybrid)
ES (incl. ES Hybrid)
LS (incl. LS Hybrid)
NX (incl. NX Hybrid)
UX (incl. UX Hybrid)
RX (incl. RX Hybrid)
RC (incl. RC Hybrid)
LC (incl. LC Hybrid)
(1) Toyota Motor Europe is responsible for all Western, Central and Eastern European countries including Turkey and Russia as well as Israel and a number of Central Asian markets (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Kazakhstan).
*East Europe includes Russia, Kazakhstan, Caucasus, Ukraine, Turkey and Israel.
Models listed in italics are produced locally at Toyota’s European manufacturing facilities.
(2) EU C02 fleet refers to average emissions of cars registered in EU28, Iceland and Norway. Reference to target achievement here is for Toyota + Lexus sales, based on preliminary internal data ahead of the regular release schedule of official figures by the EU Commission.