Toyota Motor Europe posts strong year-to-date results and targets share growth in 2020
- TME sold 424,862 vehicles in the first half of 2020, down -26.5% but outperforming a market which fell by -36%
- Market share rose to 6.1%, up 0.8 ppts boosted by strong demand for its Toyota and Lexus hybrid electric vehicle
- Toyota Motor Europe’s plants and retailers all now fully operational and adhering to new health and safety procedures
Toyota Motor Europe (TME) today posted first half sales of 424,862 Toyota and Lexus vehicles in a market that sharply contracted due to the COVID-19 global pandemic. These results represent a decrease of -26.5% on the same period in 2019 but outperformed the total European market which dropped by -36%. In the same period, Toyota and Lexus market share climbed 0.8 ppts to 6.1%, driven by demand for its hybrid electric vehicles. TME’s overall hybrid sales mix remained high at 51%, increasing to 63% in West Europe.
Under these unique circumstances, Toyota and Lexus have performed well. We are beginning to recover momentum, but our top priority has been to protect the health and safety of our employees and the liquidity of our retail partners.
Looking forward we are expecting to achieve at least 950,000 sales in 2020, which is -13% less than 2019 in a market that could be down by -25%, so we’ll need to maintain our recent market share growth to achieve this volume. We are benefiting from our wide range of low CO2 hybrid models and are looking forward to launching the all New Yaris with our 4th generation hybrid system. We’ve re-set our 2020 plans on an ambitious path but recognise that there remains a lot of uncertainty ahead
Brands and model performance
Toyota’s best sellers, Yaris, Corolla HB, Touring Sports & Sedan and RAV4 delivered around half of the brand’s total 395,267 sales across this period. Hybrid electric vehicles made up 50% of the total Toyota mix, while Corolla Hatchback & Touring Sports and Toyota C-HR HEV respective shares were in excess of 90%.
Lexus’s first 6 months sales of 29,595, while declining 27% year on year, also outperformed the market, with hybrid electric vehicles dominating its sales in most markets, especially its SUV range, RX, NX and UX representing 75% of total volume. Overall, the brand achieved a 63% overall hybrid mix across the first 6 months, and 99% in West Europe.
TME highlights in H1 2020:
- Total sales: 424,862 (-26.5% year-on-year)
- Market share: 6.1% (+0.8 ppt year-on-year)
- Total hybrid sales: 217,884 (-28% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 63% - East Europe*: 20% - TTL: 51%
Toyota highlights in H1 2020:
- Toyota sales: 395,267 (-27% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: Yaris Range (83,005); Corolla Range (82,513); RAV4 Range (62,036)
- Top hybrids: Corolla H/B & Touring Sports (50,484); Toyota C-HR Hybrid (45,433); Yaris Hybrid (38,481);
- Total hybrid sales: 199,102 (-27% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 61% - East Europe*: 22% - TTL: 50%
Lexus highlights in H1 2020:
- Total Lexus sales: 29,595 (-27% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: NX Range (7,664); RX Range (7,616); UX Range (6,879)
- Top gainers: GX range (+74%)
- Top hybrids: UX Hybrid (6,461); NX Hybrid (5,299); RX Hybrid (2,498);
- Total hybrid sales: 18,782 (-33% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 99% - East Europe*: 8% - TTL: 69%
Sales for H1 2020 are listed below
Table 1 – TME (1) total sales in H1 2020
TOTAL TOYOTA / LEXUS
Yaris (incl. Yaris Hybrid)
Corolla H/B & Touring Sports (including Hybrid)
Corolla H/B & Touring Sports Hybrid
Toyota C-HR (incl. Hybrid)
Toyota C-HR Hybrid
Corolla SDN (incl. Hybrid)
Corolla SDN Hybrid
Prius Plug-in Hybrid
Camry (incl. Camry Hybrid)
RAV4 (incl. RAV4 Hybrid)
IS (incl. IS Hybrid)
ES (incl. ES Hybrid)
LS (incl. LS Hybrid)
NX (incl. NX Hybrid)
UX (incl. UX Hybrid)
RX (incl. RX Hybrid)
RC (incl. RC Hybrid)
LC (incl. LC Hybrid)
(1) Toyota Motor Europe is responsible for all Western, Central and Eastern European countries including Turkey and Russia as well as Israel and a number of Central Asian markets (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Kazakhstan).
*East Europe includes Russia, Kazakhstan, Caucasus, Ukraine, Turkey and Israel.
Models listed in italics are produced locally at Toyota’s European manufacturing facilities.