Toyota Motor Europe sold 578,400 vehicles in the first half of the year, achieving a Hybrid Electric Vehicle Mix of >50%
- With a year-on-year rise of 18%, Hybrid Electric models boosted TME sales in H1 2019, in a declining market, increasing TME share to 5.3%
- Vast majority of customers chose hybrid electric versions of newly launched Toyota Corolla, Camry, RAV4 and Lexus UX models
Brussels, Belgium - July 10, 2019 – With 20 different models on offer and four major new models having started sales in Europe in the first quarter, Hybrid Electric Vehicles [HEV] drove the strong performance of Toyota Motor Europe (TME) between January and June 2019.
The company today reported half-year sales of 578,400 vehicles across the region, up 3.3% year-on-year and registering a 5.3% market share.
The first half of the year has been vibrant for us with no less than four model launches progressively introduced during this period. Despite the weaker European market, Toyota & Lexus sales have increased thanks to strong demand for our hybrid models. We were confident to continue to grow our sales and market share this year but demand is even higher than our expectations. This strong performance will continue in the second half of the year and we are on track to exceed our total Toyota and Lexus sales objective of 1,065,000 this year due to the strength of our hybrid order bank.
Customers are responding very well to the new Corolla Hatchback and Touring Sports, which are now available with two hybrid electric powertrains : 1.8L – 122 hp and 2.0L - 180hp (as part of Toyota’s dual-hybrid strategy). The combined hybrid mix is 83%. And the Corolla Sedan is for the first time also available with a hybrid electric powertrain that represents about 50% of the new model sales.
Demand is also strong for the new RAV4 and for the new premium crossover Lexus UX, with hybrid electric mix of 72% and 92% respectively.
The new Camry that has been successfully launched this year in Western Europe is sold exclusively with a hybrid electric powertrain.
Other models such as the Toyota C-HR Hybrid, and Yaris Hybrid - have achieved record sales, also supporting the strong performance of HEVs.
Lexus sales increased by 5% versus last year, thanks to the good performance of the Lexus ES and the new Lexus UX.
For this period, the HEV share of TME sales stands at 52% across Greater Europe, and at 62% in Western Europe only.
2019 has also seen the relaunch of the Supra nameplate. After a 17-year absence from the market, the iconic GR Supra is back, to the great joy of car enthusiasts, eagerly awaiting the return of this sports car that delivers a pure driving experience. Such is the level of excitement that the 2019 model allocation already sold out prior to its official launch last March.
TME highlights in H1 2019:
- Total sales: 578,400 (+3.3% year-on-year)
- Market share: 5.3% (+0.4ppt year-on-year)
- Total hybrid sales: 303,400 (+18% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 62% - East Europe*: 23% - TTL: 52%
Toyota highlights in H1 2019:
- Toyota sales: 538,000 (+3.2% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: Yaris Range (131,000); Toyota C-HR Range (79,000); RAV4 Range (72,800)
- Top gainers: Mirai (+65%); Camry Range (+32%); RAV4 (+25%)
- Top hybrids : Toyota C-HR Hybrid (70,300); Yaris Hybrid (66,400); Corolla H/B & Touring Sports (57,700)
- Total hybrid sales: 275,300 (+18% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 60% - East Europe*: 24% - TTL: 51%
Lexus highlights in H1 2019:
- Total Lexus sales: 40,450 (+4.9% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: NX Range (11,700); UX Range (8,500); RX Range (8,400)
- Top gainers: UX range (new); ES range (+387%)
- Top hybrids: NX Hybrid (8,700); UX Hybrid (7,800); RX Hybrid (3,800);
- Total hybrid sales: 28,000 (+17% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 99% - East Europe*: 8% - TTL: 69%
Sales for H1 2019 are listed below
Table 1 – TME (1) total sales in H1 2019
(1) Toyota Motor Europe is responsible for all Western, Central and Eastern European countries including Turkey and Russia as well as Israel and a number of Central Asian markets (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Kazakhstan).
*East Europe includes Russia, Kazakhstan, Caucasus, Ukraine, Turkey and Israel.
Models listed in italics are produced locally at Toyota’s European manufacturing facilities