Toyota Motor Europe (TME) sales in the first nine months of the year grow stronger thanks to Hybrid EV sales
- Toyota Motor Europe(1) sold 765,000 vehicles in the first nine months of 2017 :
- +10% versus last year
- Reaching 4.9% market share [+0.3 ppt]
- Another hybrid EV sales record with 308,000 vehicles :
- +41% above last year
- Representing 40% of TME sales
Brussels, Belgium – October 20, 2017 – Toyota Motor Europe reported 2017 first nine months sales of 765,000 Toyota and Lexus vehicles, an increase of +10% from 2016. Total market share for the group increased by +0.3 ppt to 4.9%.
Hybrid EV sales grew by +41% year-on-year to 308,000 units. Hybrid EVs now represent 40% of TME total sales, and an impressive 51% in Western Europe only.
Lexus contributes to the Hybrid EV success with an average mix of 62% of total sales and 98% in Western Europe.
The successful launch of Toyota C-HR led the way for the strong start to 2017, with about 80% of our Toyota C-HR customers choosing a Hybrid EV powertrain.
This strong performance of the first nine months has also been supported by Yaris Hybrid (+16%), RAV4 Hybrid (+37%) and the new generation Hilux (+22%) and PROACE (+225%).
In Russia, the locally produced Camry and RAV4 managed to maintain their segment leadership despite the challenging market conditions.
The European market’s performance in the first nine months of the year has been very good. Our sales during this period increased by a remarkable +10%, growing stronger than the market. Our hybrid line-up of 16 Toyota and Lexus models, the largest in the automotive sector, drove this double-digit sales increase. 40% of our sales are now Hybrids EVs and this growth means we are well on track to achieve 1 million total sales in Europe this year, ahead of our 2020 target.
TME highlights from January-September :
- Total hybrid sales: 308,000 (+41% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe : 51% - East Europe : 9% - TTL : 40%
Toyota highlights from January-September :
- Top sellers: Yaris Range (158,600); Toyota C-HR Range (96,900) ; Auris Range (94,300) ;
- Top gainers: Toyota C-HR (new); PROACE (+225%); Mirai (+28%) ; Hilux (+23%);
- Top hybrids : Toyota C-HR (74,900), Yaris Hybrid (74,200); Auris Hybrid (62,300); RAV4 Hybrid (44,100)
- Total hybrid sales: 273,900 (+50% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe : 48% - East Europe : 10% - TTL : 39%
Lexus highlights from January-September :
- Top sellers: NX Range (20,300); RX Range (14,000); CT200h (6,700)
- Top gainers: NX Range (+5%) ; RX Range (+4%) ; CT200h (+1%)
- Top hybrids: LC Hybrid (new); NX Hybrid (14,800); CT200h (6,700) ;
- Total hybrid sales: 55,200 (-1% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe : 98% - East Europe : 5% - TTL : 62%
Sales for the first nine months of 2017 are listed below
Table – TME (1) total nine months sales in 2017
(1) Toyota Motor Europe is responsible for all Western, Central and Eastern European countries including Turkey and Russia as well as Israel and a number of Central Asian markets (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Kazakhstan).
Models listed in italics are produced locally at Toyota’s European manufacturing facilities.