Toyota Motor Europe’s first half-year market share climbs to a record high of 7.6%
· Toyota Motor Europe’s (TME) sales of 563,067 vehicles, a -6% decline year-on-year, outperformed the total market which contracted -19% in the first six months
· TME’s overall European electrified mix increased +9% points year-on-year to 68% of total sales
· Toyota brand maintained its second place in the European market for best-selling passenger cars
Brussels, Belgium – July 19th – Toyota Motor Europe’s (TME) (1) first half year sales volume of 563,067 vehicles, reflects a decrease of -6% year-on-year, outperforming the total market which declined by -19%. Across the same period, TME achieved its best ever first half-year market share of 7.6%, a significant increase of +1% point year-on-year. Customer demand for Toyota and Lexus’ low CO2 electrified line-up continued to grow, TME’s total electrified mix increasing +6% points to reach 76% in Western Europe and 68% across total Europe, up +9% points year-on-year.
We are greatly encouraged with a record market share of 7.6% for the first half, given the geopolitical, economic issues and supply chain shortages. We have unprecedented demand for new models such as Yaris Cross, Aygo X and Lexus NX, but also, for our more established products like Yaris, Corolla and C-HR. We are sitting on a six-month order bank which is testament to the product power of our low CO2 electrified line-up.
Brands and model performance
Toyota sales decreased by -4% to 539,260 in the first six months. The brand’s top sellers were the Corolla range, Yaris Cross, Yaris, C-HR and RAV4 which accounted for 75% of the total volume. Toyota’s overall electrified mix increased by +11% year-on-year to 363,962 vehicles, accounting for 67% of the total sales mix.
Lexus sold 23,807 in the first half-year. While customer demand is strong, sales have been impacted by supply chain issues and the suspension of vehicle exports to Russia. Lexus overall electrified mix increased to 98% in West Europe. RX, NX, UX and LX SUVs represented 88% of total sales.
TME highlights January- June 2022:
· Total sales: 563,067 (-6% year-on-year)
· Market share: 7.6% (+1% point year-on-year)
· Total electrified sales: 383,056 (+8% year-on-year)
· Total electrified mix: West Europe: 76% - East Europe*: 35% - TTL: 68%
Toyota highlights January- June 2022:
· Toyota sales: 539,260 (-4% year-on-year)
· Top sellers: Corolla (104,523); Yaris (85,438); Yaris Cross (77,749); RAV4 (69,548)
· Top electrified: Corolla Hybrid (85,755); Yaris Cross Hybrid (72,874): Toyota C-HR Hybrid (69,383); Yaris Hybrid (66,722); RAV4 Hybrid/Plug-in Hybrid (55,579)
· Total electrified sales: 363,962 (+11% year-on-year)
· Electrified mix: West Europe: 78%, East Europe*: 35% - TTL: 69%
Lexus highlights January- June 2022:
· Total Lexus sales: 23,807 (-39% year-on-year)
· Top sellers: UX (7,584); NX (7,469); RX (5,016)
· Top electrified: UX Hybrid/EV (7,258); NX Hybrid/Plug-in Hybrid (6,786); RX Hybrid (2,918)
· Total electrified sales: 19,094 (-25% year-on-year)
· Electrified mix: West Europe: 98%, East Europe*: 22% - TTL: 80%
Sales for January – June 2022 are listed below:
|Yaris (incl. Yaris Hybrid)|
|Yaris Cross (incl Yaris Cross Hybrid)|
|Yaris Cross Hybrid|
|Corolla H/B & Touring Sports (including Hybrid)|
|Corolla H/B & Touring Sports Hybrid|
|Toyota C-HR (incl. Hybrid)|
|Toyota C-HR Hybrid|
|Corolla SDN (incl. Hybrid)|
|Corolla SDN Hybrid|
|Prius Plug-in Hybrid|
|Camry (incl. Camry Hybrid)|
|RAV4 (incl. RAV4 Hybrid & RAV4 Plug-In Hybrid)|
|RAV4 Plug-In Hybrid|
|Highlander (incl. Highlander Hybrid)|
|PROACE (inc PROACE EV)|
|PROACE EV (inc PROACE VERSO EV)|
|PROACE CITY EV (inc PROACE CITY VERSO EV|
|IS (incl. IS Hybrid)|
|ES (incl. ES Hybrid)|
|LS (incl. LS Hybrid)|
|NX (incl. NX Hybrid)|
|UX (incl. UX Hybrid)|
|RX (incl. RX Hybrid)|
|RC (incl. RC Hybrid)|
|LC (incl. LC Hybrid)|
(1) Toyota Motor Europe is responsible for all Western, Central and Eastern European countries including Ukraine, Turkey and Russia as well as Israel and a number of Central Asian markets (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Kazakhstan).
Models listed in italics are produced locally at Toyota’s European manufacturing facilities.
Toyota Motor Europe NV/SA (TME) oversees the wholesale sales and marketing of Toyota, GR (GAZOO Racing) and Lexus vehicles and parts and accessories, as well as Toyota’s European manufacturing and engineering operations. Toyota directly employs over 27,000 people and has invested over EUR 10 billion in Europe since 1990. Its nine European manufacturing plants are located in Portugal, the UK, France, Poland, Czech Republic, Turkey and Russia. Today, there are approximately 16.5 million Toyota, GR and Lexus vehicles on European roads, whose drivers are supported by a network of 28 National Marketing and Sales Companies and around 2,800 retail sales outlets in 53 countries (EU, UK, EFTA countries + Russia, Israel, Turkey and other Eastern European countries). In 2021, TME sold 1,076,300 vehicles in Europe for a 6.4% market share. For more information, visit Facts & Figures (toyota.eu) and www.toyota-europe.com.
Toyota believes that when people are free to move, anything is possible. In the pursuit of "Mobility for All", Toyota aims to create safer, more connected, inclusive and sustainable mobility to achieve its mission of producing “Happiness for All”. In Europe, TME launched the KINTO mobility brand which offers a range of mobility services in 14 countries, and is growing its business-to-business sales of zero-emission fuel cell products and engineering support. Contributing to the UN Sustainable Development Goals, Toyota is working to achieve carbon neutrality in its entire business across Europe. A historic leader in CO2 reduction in Europe, TME aims to achieve 100% CO2 reduction in all new vehicles in Western Europe by 2035 and will continue to offer a full range of electrified powertrains to customers across the region with its hybrid, plug-in hybrid, battery and fuel cell electric vehicles. When it comes to sustainability, Toyota is committed to going Beyond Zero.