Toyota Motor Europe’s first quarter market share climbs to a record high of 7.6%
· TME sales of 284,506 vehicles remained stable year-on-year as the automotive market contracted in the first three months of the year.
· Toyota’s overall European electrified mix increased to 69%.
· Toyota brand maintained its number two position for best-selling passenger car brand in the first quarter of 2022.
Brussels, Belgium – April 26th – Toyota Motor Europe’s (TME) (1) first quarter sales volume of 284,506 vehicles showed a marginal change of -1% year-on-year while outperforming the total market, which declined by -14%. Across the same period, TME achieved its best ever first-quarter market share of 7.6%, an increase of +1% point year-on-year. The strong demand for Toyota and Lexus’s low CO2 electrified line-up continued in a declining market, with TME’s electrified mix increasing to 78% in Western Europe and 69% across total Europe.
The market was much weaker than we anticipated, but I am very happy with our first quarter performance. Our product power is stronger than ever, boosted by key new models such as the Yaris Cross, Aygo X and the bZ4X battery electric SUV. Although our order bank remains at a record level, the economic and political turbulence in Europe, combined with the ongoing supply chain shortages, are significantly impacting the automotive market. Despite this, we still aim to deliver volume growth this year, but have been forced to revise downwards our original sales forecast for 2022.
Brands and model performance
Toyota sales marginally increased by +1% to 270,913 in the first quarter with 7.2% market share, up +0.8% year-on-year in passenger cars. The brand’s top sellers were Yaris, Yaris Cross, Corolla range and RAV4 which accounted for 75% of the total volume. Toyota’s overall electrified mix increased by +21% year-on-year to 185,361 vehicles, accounting for 69% of the total sales mix.
Lexus. sold 13,593 vehicles in the first three months, a volume decline of -29% year-on-year. This performance was largely a result of supply chain shortages. Demand for Lexus models remains very strong and the brand is in position to accelerate sales as supply improves through the year. Lexus overall electrified mix was 69% and 98% in West Europe. Its SUV line-up of RX, NX, UX and LX represented 85% of total sales.
TME highlights January- March 2022:
· Total sales: 284,506 (-1% year-on-year)
· Market share: 7.6% (+1% year-on-year)
· Total electrified sales: 196,473 (+18% year-on-year)
· Total electrified mix: West Europe: 79% - East Europe*: 34% - TTL: 68%
Toyota highlights January- March 2022:
· Toyota sales: 270,913 (+1% year-on-year)
· Top sellers: Corolla Range (54,936); Yaris Cross (40,977), Yaris (38,976); RAV4 (38,704)
· Top electrified: Corolla Hybrid Range (46,537); Yaris Cross Hybrid (38,130): Toyota C-HR Hybrid (33,640): RAV4 Hybrid/Plug-in Hybrid (31,655); Yaris Hybrid (30,238).
· Total electrified sales: 185,361 (+21% year-on-year)
· Electrified mix: West Europe: 78%, East Europe*: 35% - TTL: 69%
Lexus highlights January- March 2022:
· Total Lexus sales: 13,593 (-29% year-on-year)
· Top sellers: UX Range (4,752); NX Range (4,309); RX Range (2,528)
· Top electrified: UX Hybrid/BEV (4,648); NX Hybrid/Plug-in Hybrid (3,850); RX Hybrid (1,325)
· Total electrified sales: 11,112 (-10% year-on-year)
· Electrified mix: West Europe: 98%, East Europe*: 25% - TTL: 69%
Sales for January – March 2022 are listed below:
TOTAL TOYOTA / LEXUS
|Yaris (incl. Yaris Hybrid)|
|Yaris Cross (incl Yaris Cross Hybrid)|
|Yaris Cross Hybrid|
|Corolla H/B & Touring Sports (including Hybrid)|
|Corolla H/B & Touring Sports Hybrid|
|Toyota C-HR (incl. Hybrid)|
|Toyota C-HR Hybrid|
|Corolla SDN (incl. Hybrid)|
|Corolla SDN Hybrid|
|Prius Plug-in Hybrid|
|Camry (incl. Camry Hybrid)|
|RAV4 (incl. RAV4 Hybrid & RAV4 Plug-In Hybrid)|
|RAV4 Plug-In Hybrid|
|Highlander (incl. Highlander Hybrid)|
|PROACE (inc PROACE EV)|
|PROACE EV (inc PROACE VERSO EV)|
|PROACE CITY EV (inc PROACE CITY VERSO EV|
|IS (incl. IS Hybrid)|
|ES (incl. ES Hybrid)|
|LS (incl. LS Hybrid)|
|NX (incl. NX Hybrid)|
|UX (incl. UX Hybrid)|
|RX (incl. RX Hybrid)|
|RC (incl. RC Hybrid)|
|LC (incl. LC Hybrid)|