Toyota’s first half-year sales growth maintains record market 6.6% share
- Toyota Motor Europe (TME) continued its fast start in 2021 with 598,888 vehicles sold in the first 6 months, maintaining a record market share of 6.6%, an increase +0.5 pts year-on-year
- TME’s strongest first half-year sales since 2007, reflecting high customer demand for the Toyota and Lexus hybrid line-up
- Year to date, Toyota remains 2nd best-selling car brand in Europe
- Lexus continues to show increased volume and share growth
Brussels, Belgium – July 14, 2021 – Toyota Motor Europe’s (TME) resurgent growth continued into the second quarter, with first half sales of 598,888 Toyota and Lexus vehicles, reaching a record market share of 6.6%. Overall this represents +41% sales growth vs. 2020 and +4% growth vs. 2019. TME’s sales expansion is driven by continued high customer demand for TME’s multi-technology, electrified line-up, particularly its hybrid electric models. Hybrid sales increased to 59% of total European volume, rising to 70% in Western Europe, whilst in Eastern Europe it represented 27%.
Consumer demand remains strong and we have already revised our 2021 sales plan to 1.15M vehicles. We are also sat on a record order bank of around 200,000, but we are not immune to the supply disruption challenges facing the entire industry. Our multi-technology electrification approach, in pursuit of our carbon neutrality goals, has enabled us to consistently meet customer requirements and exceed our EU CO2 emissions targets.
Brands and model performance
Toyota sales volume increased by +42% to 559,718 in the first six months, with a 6.2% market share, up +0.4% year-on-year in passenger cars. The brand’s top sellers include Yaris, the Corolla Range and RAV4 which represented 61% of total volume, with a combined hybrid mix of 64%. Toyota’s overall hybrid volume increased by +64% year-on-year to 326,420 and accounted for 58% of the total sales. Demand for the new RAV4 PHEV and Mirai FCEV continue to grow, and Toyota’s global unveiling of its battery electric bZ4X D-SUV Concept signals the brand’s further expansion of its BEV line-up.
Lexus sold 39,170 vehicles in the first six months, a volume increase of +32.0% year-on-year. The brand’s overall European hybrid mix was 62%, rising to 93% in Western Europe. Its SUV line-up of RX, NX, UX, GX and LX represented 84% of total sales with a SUV hybrid mix of 60%. The highest year-on-year sales growth was achieved by UX (+55%) and ES (+51%). Sales of the brand’s first battery electric vehicle, the UX 300e, which started earlier this year, now represent over 10% of the UX model’s total volume.
TME highlights Jan- June 2021
- Total sales: 598,888 (+41% year-on-year)
- Market share: 6.6% (+0.5% year-on-year)
- Total hybrid sales: 350,753 (+61% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 70% - East Europe*: 27% - TTL: 59%
Toyota highlights Jan- June 2021:
- Toyota sales: 559,718 (+42% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: Yaris (118,258); Corolla Range (114,841); RAV4 (88,963)
- Top hybrids: Yaris Hybrid (92,979); Corolla Hybrid Range (89,130); Toyota C-HR Hybrid (66,875)
- Total hybrid: 326,420 ( +64% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 69% - East Europe*: 27% - TTL: 58%
Lexus highlights Jan- June 2021:
- Total Lexus sales: 39,170 (+32% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: UX Range (10,658): NX Range (10,606); RX Range (9,182);
- Top hybrids: UX Hybrid (9,083); NX Hybrid (7,645); RX Hybrid (3,050)
- Total hybrid sales: 24,333 (+30% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 93% - East Europe*: 8% - TTL: 62%
Sales for Jan - June 2021 are listed below
TOTAL TOYOTA / LEXUS
Yaris (incl. Yaris Hybrid)
Corolla H/B & Touring Sports (including Hybrid)
Corolla H/B & Touring Sports Hybrid
Toyota C-HR (incl. Hybrid)
Toyota C-HR Hybrid
Corolla SDN (incl. Hybrid)
Corolla SDN Hybrid
Prius Plug-in Hybrid
Camry (incl. Camry Hybrid)
RAV4 (incl. RAV4 Hybrid & RAV4 Plug-In Hybrid)
RAV4 Plug-In Hybrid
Highlander (incl. Highlander Hybrid)
PROACE (inc PROACE EV)
IS (incl. IS Hybrid)
ES (incl. ES Hybrid)
LS (incl. LS Hybrid)
NX (incl. NX Hybrid)
UX (incl. UX Hybrid)
RX (incl. RX Hybrid)
RC (incl. RC Hybrid)
LC (incl. LC Hybrid)
(1) Toyota Motor Europe is responsible for all Western, Central and Eastern European countries including Turkey and Russia as well as Israel and a number of Central Asian markets (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Kazakhstan).
*East Europe includes Russia, Kazakhstan, Caucasus, Ukraine, Turkey and Israel.
Models listed in italics are produced locally at Toyota’s European manufacturing facilities.
(2) EU C02 fleet refers to average emissions of cars registered in EU28, Iceland and Norway. Reference to target achievement here is for Toyota + Lexus sales, based on preliminary internal data ahead of the regular release schedule of official figures by the EU Commission.