Toyota Motor Europe posts first quarter sales results amid COVID-19 crisis
- TME reports 271,937 vehicles sold between January-March 2020, down -2.45%, as the market sharply declined
- Continued strong demand for its hybrid electric vehicles which make up 52% of total sales and 64% in West Europe
- Toyota’s European plants currently closed as the COVID-19 crisis impacts public health, the economy and society
Brussels, Belgium – April 10, 2020 – Toyota Motor Europe today reported first quarter sales of 271,937 Toyota and Lexus vehicles, down -2.45% on the same period in 2019 – a relatively modest decrease amidst the current COVID-19 crisis thanks mainly to a strong January and February. Demand for its full hybrid electric vehicles also remained strong at 141,088 achieving 52% of total sales in this period. Across Europe, the company’s market share was 6.6% in a market that decreased by -22% year on year and -46% in March, as the effects of the global COVID-19 pandemic escalated across Europe.
Since mid-March, manufacturing at all Toyota’s European plants has been suspended until week commencing April 20 at the earliest, due to the impact of the coronavirus on public health, society and the economy.
These are unprecedented times and our immediate priority is supporting the various governments’ efforts across the region to safeguard both the public’s health, and that of frontline key workers fighting this pandemic. Only when conditions improve, which we hope is soon, can we restart production and get our plants and retailers back to working normally. From a business perspective, we are now planning on lower sales in 2020 than in 2019 but given the uncertainty of the situation it is too early to give an accurate forecast.
Considering the crisis, Toyota Motor Europe, its manufacturing plants, its national marketing and sales companies, its retailer network and other Toyota entities in Europe have spontaneously taken initiatives in several ways in response to the needs of their local communities, with priority given to supporting healthcare and emergency services and personnel.
Toyota, together with its financial services subsidiary Toyota Financial Services Europe, has also been helping customers with individual financial agreements, in particular those who are affected by the loss of employment or business income.
Brand and model performance
Customer demand for the Toyota brand saw strong early sales momentum for Corolla Hatchback and Touring Sports, Corolla Sedan and RAV4 with total first quarter sales at 253,644, and its market share rising to 6.1%. In the same period, its hybrid electric vehicles sales mix stood at 51% of the total, and 61% in West Europe. This mix was even higher for specific models such as Corolla Hatchback and Touring Sports, and C-HR where hybrid represented 92% of sales.
Lexus also started the year off well with total sales of 18,293 vehicles, stable with the same period last year. High demand continued for its SUV range with strong performances from UX, NX and RX making up 76% of all sales. Hybrid electric vehicle sales now represent over 68% of total sales and 97% in Western & Central Europe.
TME highlights Jan-Mar 2020:
- Total sales: 271,937 (-2.45% year-on-year)
- Market share: 6.6% (+1.3 ppt year-on-year)
- Total hybrid sales: 141,088 (-1.60% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 64% - East Europe*: 22% - TTL: 52%
Toyota highlights Jan- Mar 2020:
- Toyota sales: 253,644 (-2.6% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: Yaris Range (55,126); Corolla Hatchback & Touring Sports (38,077); RAV4 Range (37,063)
- Top gainers: Corolla Sedan (+58%); Corolla Hatchback & Touring Sports (+36%): RAV4 (+21%), Highlander (+202%)
- Top hybrids: Corolla Hatchback & Touring Sports (35,383); Toyota C-HR Hybrid (27,719); RAV4 (19,982)
- Total hybrid sales: 128,553 (-1.3% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West Europe: 61% - East Europe*: 23% - TTL: 51%
Lexus highlights Jan-Mar 2020:
- Total Lexus sales: 18,293 (-0.51% year-on-year)
- Top sellers: NX Range (5,016); UX Range (4,632); RX Range (4,306)
- Top gainers: UX range (+209%); RX (+4.3%)
- Top hybrids: UX Hybrid (4,383); NX Hybrid (3,803); RX Hybrid (1,452);
- Total hybrid sales: 12,535 (-3.7% year-on-year)
- Hybrid mix: West & Central Europe: 97% - East Europe*: 1% - TTL: 68%
Sales for Jan-Dec 2019 are listed below
Table 1 – TME (1) full year sales in 2019
TOTAL TOYOTA / LEXUS
Yaris (incl. Yaris Hybrid)
Corolla H/B & Touring Sports (including Hybrid)
Corolla H/B & Touring Sports Hybrid
Toyota C-HR (incl. Hybrid)
Toyota C-HR Hybrid
Corolla SDN (incl. Hybrid)
Corolla SDN Hybrid
Prius Plug-in Hybrid
Camry (incl. Camry Hybrid)
RAV4 (incl. RAV4 Hybrid)
IS (incl. IS Hybrid)
ES (incl. ES Hybrid)
LS (incl. LS Hybrid)
NX (incl. NX Hybrid)
UX (incl. UX Hybrid)
RX (incl. RX Hybrid)
RC (incl. RC Hybrid)
LC (incl. LC Hybrid)
(1) Toyota Motor Europe is responsible for all Western, Central and Eastern European countries including Turkey and Russia as well as Israel and a number of Central Asian markets (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, and Kazakhstan).
*East Europe includes Russia, Kazakhstan, Caucasus, Ukraine, Turkey and Israel.
Models listed in italics are produced locally at Toyota’s European manufacturing facilities.