World Premiere of All-New GR 86
- Faithful to the fun to drive characteristic concept of its predecessor
- Responsive and engaging with light weight, low centre of gravity and agile handling
- 3rd model in GR sports car line-up, joining widely-acclaimed GR Supra and GR Yaris
- New 2.4-litre horizontally opposed four-cylinder engine delivers increased performance
The eagerly anticipated all-new GR 86 made its global debut today at a joint online event between TOYOTA GAZOO Racing and Subaru Corporation. Toyota’s latest sports car offering complements the GR portfolio, featuring the widely-acclaimed GR Supra and GR Yaris, as the third global GR model.
The new GR 86 inherits the key fun to drive characteristics of the original GT86, launched in 2012 and went on to sell over 200,000 units worldwide. It is expected to be the lightest four-seater coupé in the segment thanks to a wide range of weight saving initiatives such as the use of aluminium roof and body panels.
Powered by a new lightweight horizontally opposed four-cylinder engine which is increased to 2.4-litre displacement, the performance of the GR 86 is stepped up from its predecessor.
The dimensions of the new GR 86 are almost identical to the GT86, allowing the new model to maintain a low centre of gravity for enhanced agility. Torsional rigidity has also been increased by some 50% compared to the GT86 to deliver even sharper handling and steering ability.
Functional aerodynamic components such as the front air ducts and side rocker panels, among others, were developed from the model’s participation in motorsport, helping the GR 86 achieve expected best in class handling and stability.
The all-new GR 86 will be launched in Europe. More details will follow later this year.
Preliminary Specifications (1)
Height (mm) (2)
Curb Weight (kg)
Horizontally opposed four-cylinder DOHC
Toyota D-4S direct fuel injection and port injection system
Front-engine, rear wheel drive
(1) European specifications are subject to homologation and will be confirmed at the launch of the all-new GR 86
(2) Including roof antenna, height excluding antenna is 1,280 mm